Pages

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

What Have You Done Wednesday?

There has been a lot of talk in the past few weeks of paying it forward. Paying it forward is a wonderful thing! But have you stopped to think about what it actually means?  What it means to me is reaching out to someone in need. I know that I was blessed a few years ago by someone reaching out to me and paying my tuition for school. I was thrilled that I could go to school and become an activity director at a local nursing home. While there I saw so many people who just needed a touch, a smile, or someone to listen to them.  They just wanted to feel as if they were still important and what they said had some meaning, they wanted someone to care.

Last night I was awakened from a sound sleep with this on my mind. There are so many hurting people out there today, and what are we doing about it ? When you see the man that looks like he hasn't had a bath in a week, who is just standing at a door way do you look the other way?  Or do you smile at him and say hello? Sometimes a smile or a gentle touch is all someone needs to get through the day.

I have had a heavy heart for two days now, knowing that a local man has no place to sleep.  I don't know his total situation, I know he has family in the area, but he isn't welcome in their house, I know that he was in the hospital in the resent past and had enough money to stay at a local boarding house/motel for a week. His hands are those of a working man, calloused and hard to the touch. His eyes shine blue, and he is quick to say hello and open a door for you. His name is David, and he is a child of God. Even through his struggles, he still believes, he believes that God is with him and will take care of him. He believes that even though people have turned their back on him, that he is in God's hands, and God will provide.

I am not a rich person, in the worlds way of thinking, but I am rich with the blessings that God has provided me with. I have a house to live in, food on my table, a bed to sleep in, and a family that loves me. But most of all I have Gods love. 

I remember while I was growing up, how neighbors would help neighbors. It was common place to see someone lend a helping hand. Neighbors would look out for neighbors, they would shovel the snow of an elderly neighbor, run to the grocery store for them, cook a meal when they were  sick or if there was a death in the family. But now, people don't know their neighbors, they turn their heads instead of speaking to them. What has happened that has changed people so drastically?

 I want to challenge each and everyone of you that reads my blog to reach out to someone who is in need. I'm not talking about reaching out with your wallet only. If you have money to give then yes please do pick a worthy cause and lend a helping hand. If you don't have the means to give financially, there are so many other ways that you can reach out.  Stop by and see that elderly neighbor that is all alone, volunteer your time at a nursing home, teaching someone to read, assisting in a class room. You can make a difference by holding a door open for someone, smiling  and saying hello, picking up the phone and letting someone know that you are thinking about them.  Donating clothes you no longer wear, picking up an item or two and donating to a food pantry.  But please reach out!  I would love to hear all about what or how you reached out, blog about reaching out, remind the world that we have hearts!

So no more Wordless Wednesday ... I challenge you to have a WHAT HAVE YOU DONE WEDNESDAY!

4 comments:

  1. This post has made me stop and think!
    betty,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well what a very good post i love it Karen. A great idea to get minds thinking about what they should. I hear others say all the time how they wish it was more simple like life in the past. Well it can be and this is certainly a way to do just that. I won't be out today but you can bet tomorrow when I go to town i will find a kind deed to do.
    Hugs to you
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen.. Boy am I glad that I took a minute tonight to read your post. So very well said.

    Thank you....Traci

    ReplyDelete
  4. Food for thought Karen. We do live in a different world now and I think people are more afraid now than in the past.
    Carol

    ReplyDelete